Where the hell have I been? The truth is, I've been sitting right here working my little ass off. But since I haven't been racing, I haven't really had much to blog about. My weekly training follows roughly the same routine week in and week out, and since I really only have two run routes, two bike routes, and two pools that I ever swim in, there hasn't really been much to report. When there isn't much to say, I haven't really been checking other people's pages either. You don't have to guilt-trip me for it. I already feel shitty enough about it as it is.So am I ready for Mexico? Yes. I am. How boring is that, huh? I have given up on trying to control the things that are out of my hands (read: chupacabras, rabid manitees, hurricanes), and everything else is just kind of falling into place.
Without any drama. What the fuck is that?
My swimming has been going well, despite my conviction that I was going to swim like a cinder block if I didn't spend at least 3 hours a week in the pool. I have been getting by on two sessions a week, and have watched my time trials get faster and faster. When I first signed on with Eric, I swam 1K in 15:10 and thought I was going to puke in the gutter. I was pretty proud of myself for holding 1:31 pace for 1000 yards. Yesterday I swam 1975 yards in 30:04, or twice the distance at exactly 1:31 pace again. I didn't even feel like I was going to puke in the gutter this time.So I guess my swimming is on track. Not much to worry about there.
I was really freaking out about the bike, but last week we got some days where it was warm and not windy at all, and I finally got an accurate idea of how fast I'm riding. At IM effort I'm going as fast, if not faster than I was over the summer. A course that I rode at 20mph in July, I rode last week at 21 at a similar heartrate. I also did a 20-minute time trial on one of the bikes at the gym that gives a power readout, and found that I'm pushing about 20-35 watts more than I was last winter (about 218 watts for a 20-min TT, threshold power at about 200 watts).So I guess I haven't lost my bike legs after all. Nothing to damper my excitement there.
And as far as my running... Well it appears that one day I just woke up and learned how to run. The sun just rose one day, and suddenly I was a cheetah. I stopped drinking smoothees before my runs and stopped drinking Accelerade during, and the phantom poo problem just went away. Without my insides rotting out, I was suddenly running a minute per mile faster at all efforts. That was it. I even started enjoying running a little bit. Don't tell anyone...
So for the first time I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what will happen on a run. No drama there either.
Everything else is falling into place too. I tore through the crotch of one pair of tri shorts at the beginning of a 110-mile ride (wearing a hole in my leg), and couldn't find my Aquaphor shorts. But the Aquaphor minishorts turned up at the bottom of my laundry basket one day without my even looking for them. Drama averted.
I was worried about how the deep-dish Zipp 808 wheels I'd reserved would hold up in the costal crosswinds, but then the King of the Bike Geeks offered to lend me his race wheels (same depth as Zipp 404's) for free. So that saved me $140. Problem solved, even more than I could have hoped for.
I was worried about the drag of my race kit without a wetsuit, and worried I'd have to buy a swim skin. But when I went to the tri store, the guy sold me this Zoot Ultra Sprintsuit which sheds water but doesn't have neoprene. I can wear it like a wetsuit, but it doesn't have neoprene, so it's about half the price. On top of that, he gave me $40 off the ticketed price for coming in in the offseason.My only concerns now are that:
My drink mix looks like blow and I don't want it confiscated from my luggage.- I don't know if they're going to be mixing the Gatorade on the course with tap water or bottled water. Does anyone know the answer to this one?
- Will my cell phone work in Mexico? What about my electronics plugs?
Which ones of you guys are going to be out there? I don't arrive until 9:30 on Friday morning, but does anyone want to meet up for a short ride after registration to test out bike setups?
13 comments:
Sounding like a Pro. Totally. You're ready and I can't wait to hear how things go. Good luck!
Even though drama less = less to write about i'm glad things are coming along for IMCoz. How are things coming along with jobs/moving?
Ok, let me see if I can answer some questions here:
1. Keep your drink mix in it's original container and you should be fine.
2. The race production company that is doing IMCZ also does Cancun 70.3 and at that race Gatorade was handed up on the bike in the original Gatorade sport bottles. I know it was in cups on the run but I don't think they are going to risk "poisoning" 2000 athletes with tap water.
3. Call your cell phone carrier to see if you need to get an international calling plan for two weeks. I got slapped with a huge phone bill when I was in Cancun. The charge for texting is nasty as well. I think that you will be ok on the electrical outlets but I can double check on that with the lady who we are renting our villa from.
Tomorrow I will be stopping by the Curenderra's shop to pick you up a Mal de Ojo talisman to wear during the race so that you will be free of danger from any rabid manatees, rogue dolphins, Chupacabras, and El Cucuye.
I get into Cozumel on Friday around 11:30 and I will probably get settled in around noon. Yes, I will meet up with you. Email me: coachliz70@gmail.com
1. It's Cancun, not Colombia... The drink mix will be fine.
2. They don't mix Gatorade. They used the "already mixed" kind. And even if they weren't, we (I'm mexican) are not retarded, we know not all of you can handle Mexican tap water.
3. Yes it will. It will cost a small fortune if you don't have a international plan but it will. The electronic plugs will work too. Again, is not Colombia and is not Ukraine. Is Cancun, aka USA's playground. You'll be lucky if you get to hear some Spanish.
Natrm
1. De hecho, si que es Cancun. Paso por la aduana en Cancun, y los de TSA me dan tanto miedo como los mexicanos. No temo pasar mis vacaciones en una carcel turca, solo es que Gatorade me da problemas gastricos y necesito MI bebida para la maraton.
2. No dije que sois "retarded"! Habia ya asumido que no usarian agua de grifo para mezclar el Gatorade, pero es parte de me caracter preocuparme por todo. Si no es el agua, son tiburones terrestres. No pienses que esa preocupacion fue nada racista!!!
3. Gracias por las infos sobre el movil. He pasado bastante tiempo en Europa para saber que no se puede dar por sentado que tendras cobertura de movil o que funcionaran los enchufes.
Y claro, se que Cozumel es America Light, y que todos me hablaran en ingles. Eso me molesta. Originalmente queria ir al Yucatan despues del Ironman para ver el "Mexico real," pero al final no pude pagarlo. Como ves, si alguien me hablara en espanol, no seria problema. Aunque tu ingles es perfecto!!! (Por cierto, tambien se usar los diacriticos, pero no se donde estan en un PC... :S). Estaras alla tu?
Correction: thought you said "It's not Cancun or Columbia." Duh! I know that! I'm not worried about the DEA getting me! I'm worried about losing my drink mix...
I am so excited for you girl!!! you sound ready!
And how did I miss that you were doing Cozumel? My bad. See you there.
Oh, but you will have plenty to blog about after this, and I can't wait to hear every stinkin' detail!
Good luck and have fun! I know you will rock!
Wow, even without tons to blog about you still managed to get me excited about Mexico for you.
That guys quads are gross..
My drink mix and salt tablets heading to New Zealand looked like blow mixed with Yellow Angel dust and they didn't confiscate it and the Kiwis are waaaay worse than the Mexicans on contraband.
The electronic plugs should work and follow everyone's advice on an international phone plan.
Other than that you sound ready to kick some major ass.
So go out there and do that voodo you do so well. Also just to give you some added motivation I owe you dinner if you go sub 11:13.
Bobby
to add to the mexican theme my code word was siesta.
I guess you're there already Woo hoo!
Have a great race and kick some ass. Good luck!
Hola Claire, hace unos meses que NO e visitado tu blog. Pero a qui regreso otra vez. Buena suerte chica en Conzumel. Tu entrenamiento hacido muy profesional!!Sorry for not reading your blog lately, chica. But I am back and will be checking on you.
Post a Comment